Sunday, June 22, 2008

I was absolutely, positively, head over heels in love once. Her name was Kathy. We had the worlds worst first date. I was positive there'd never be a second date. I was wrong. I ended up buying an engagement ring. February 7, 1997 she was killed by a drunk driver. I was devastated. For years I was pretty much useless for a few weeks around that date.
Kathy had a kid sister, Jenny. When I first met her, she was a tomboy to say the least. Playing baseball, riding bikes on the dirt track, etc. Some days when I got off work before Kathy did, I'd head over to the ballfields and watch Jenny play. If we had time, I'd take her out for a soda or to the Dairy Queen. We'd go back to Kathy's and hang out. Sometimes she even talked Kathy into bringing her along if we went somewhere. One day Kathy and I had an argument. I said something incredibly stupid, she brought up past stupidities, I got defensive, and viola! instant argument. We each headed back to our own place to cool down. Apparently Jenny really tore into her because Kathy called laughing hysterically saying Jenny had a crush on me. After we got that straightened out a bit, things were good again, until Kathy died. After that, I tried to keep an eye on jenny because I knew how close they had been. I knew what I was feeling, but I couldn't imagine what she must have been going through. We kept in close contact over the years. I saw her in her prom dress before anyone except her mom, I met her date in the driveway that night to make sure he understood how to behave. June 12, 2003 I found out Jenny was hit by a drunk driver. She was in the hospital for ten days. She got out June 22 and was starting to recover. She was doing well each time I saw her that week. I went camping with some friends that weekend. I got back in town to a message on my machine that she passed away on the 28th. I lost it again. The woman I loved, and now her kid sister. How could they both die like that? It wasn't fair. I'm doing a lot better the last couple years, but some days I really miss them both, especially around the anniversary of their deaths.

1 comment:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Oh...this is so terribly sad. The poor parents! I knew about Kathy, but not Jenny. ((((((NM))))))))